Today I want to share the recipe of one of my favorite beverages of all-time, a Homemade Low-Sugar Bubble Milk Tea!
Bubble tea/boba (珍珠奶茶) is a popular beverage that originated from Taiwan, and the yummy tapioca pearls that typically sit at the bottom of the tea are the reason why it’s called ‘bubble tea’.
I often find the bubble tea sold at the bubble tea shops are too sweet for me (even after asking for 50% sugar), which gives this beverage a bad rep for ‘unhealthy’ due to the high sugar level. Now that we are making it ourselves at home, we can adjust the sugar amount how ever we want (for me, it’s less sweet), which is a huge plus!
When you go to a boba shop, there are a variety of flavors available, you can also add fruits, taro, etc. You can make all of these at home as well, but my favorite is the original flavor which is simply milk, tea and pearls. For the pearls, I bought them from Amazon.
You can use different teas and vary the amount of milk and sugar to make the bubble tea that is perfect for you!
I hope you enjoy this tasty Homemade Low-Sugar Bubble Milk Tea recipe. Leave a comment below to let us know your thoughts about this recipe or share it with your friends and family! Till next time!
Homemade Low-Sugar Bubble Milk Tea
Author: Spice the Plate
- 2 bags of green tea (or any tea flavor of your choice)
- 2 servings of tapioca pearls (about ⅓ cup per serving)
- Milk to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Cook the tapioca pearls:
- Fill a medium pot with cold water and bring it to a boil with high heat.
- Carefully add in the tapioca pearls into the water, stir gently to avoid the pearls sticking together.
- Continue boiling for one minute, then cover the pot with a lid and turn the heat down to medium.
- Cook the tapioca pearls for the length recommended on the package (about 5-6 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and leave them covered for a few minutes before draining the hot water.
- Rinse the tapioca pearls in cold water, drain and transfer to a small bowl to set aside.
- Prepare Tea:
- Place two tea bags in a large cup or mug. Pour boiled water over the tea bag, steep for a minute or two, remove tea bag. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar stir and set aside.
- Put one serving of the cooked tapioca pearls into a mug. Pour in about 1 cup of the sweetened tea, add ½ cup of milk. Stir and taste the milk tea. Add more milk, sugar or tea to your taste. Throw in a few ice cubes if you’d like to make a cold drink. Enjoy!